The Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE) has been in the forefront of the economic justice movement in L.A. for over 25 years. LAANE combines organizing, research, communications, and policy development and leads broad-based labor, community and environmental coalitions. LAANE has been a national leader in fighting for a Living Wage, community benefit agreements, and continues to advocate for policies and programs that benefit the unemployed, low-wage workers, low-income communities, BIPOC communities and the environment. For more information about our work, visit www.laane.org.
Campaign Description: The grocery and retail industry, is the second largest employer in LA, and Fair Workweek LA, which is a coalition of labor, worker rights advocates, clergy, community groups, health and safety groups, and retail and grocery workers calling for a range of policies including fair scheduling policy and higher workplace standards and protections. Together, the coalition strives to make jobs in the retail and grocery industry sustainable and restore dignity and respect in the workplace. Retail workers deal with low wages and many other challenges, including last-minute scheduling changes, no time off for emergencies or special events and unpredictable schedules from week to week that doesn’t let them plan ahead for family, school, and other work commitments.
Position Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Campaign Director, the Organizer will engage non-union retail and grocery workers, recruit, mobilize, develop leaders and activists in the retail industry, contribute to retail worker organizing strategy and help build capacity by growing the current FWW LA worker leader committee. The Organizer will also have a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the campaign. Reliable transportation is required. Also needed: willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary, and ability to work independently.
- At least 2 years of labor and/or worker center and/or community organizing and/or base-building experience; a strong and demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice and the labor movement.
- Significant experience working collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations.
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire workers to develop into leaders. Ability to take initiative and be creative in developing worker leaders and a strong activist base.
- Demonstrated understanding of organizing and how it can be used to empower workers and make significant changes in workers’ lives.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on short-term and long-term member development and capacity building goals and work collectively within a team.
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefit standards are competitive, with a salary scale of $62,400 as of January 1st 2022. Full family health benefits, 401(k), generous time off, subsidized Transit Access Pass, commitment to work/life balance, parking. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: Email cover letter, resume, and 3 references with at least 1 past supervisor in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is available immediately.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. PEOPLE (AND ESPECIALLY WOMEN) OF COLOR, WOMEN, AND LGBTQ CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.