Please note that LAANE staff are currently working remotely from home. We are exploring ways to move forward in our work approach for the remainder of the year to ensure the safest working conditions and environment for all of our staff.
Founded in 1993, LAANE is a leading advocacy organization dedicated to building a new economy for all – with a focus on women, low-income communities, and people of color. Combining dynamic research, innovative public policy, and deep coalition organizing, LAANE promotes an economic approach based on good jobs, thriving communities, and a healthy environment. Our work has included raising the minimum wage in 5 L.A. County cities and many other initiatives that help uplift and empower working families. For more information about our work, visit www.laane.org.
Campaign Description: Fair Workweek LA is a coalition of labor, community groups, health advocates, and retail workers fighting for a Fair Workweek in the city of Los Angeles. We are advocating for a comprehensive fair scheduling policy for retail workers in the City of LA. The retail industry is the second largest employer in Los Angeles, with over 140,000 retail workers in the city. Los Angeles needs a Fair Workweek policy to make retail work more just for these thousands of workers. We must expand on what other cities have done and create a model for other cities to follow. Retail workers deal with low wages and many other challenges, including last-minute scheduling changes, no time off for emergencies or special events and unpredictable schedules from week to week that doesn’t let them plan ahead for family, school, and other work commitments. Unfair scheduling is impacting a huge number of working families, and Los Angeles needs a citywide solution. This is why Fair Workweek LA is working on a policy change.
Position Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Campaign Director, the Worker Organizer will engage non-union retail and grocery workers, recruit, mobilize, develop leaders and activists in the retail industry, contribute to retail worker organizing strategy and help build capacity by growing the current FWW worker leader committee. The Worker Organizer will work directly with the Project Director and FWW Worker and Community Organizer. The Worker Organizer will also have a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the campaign. Reliable transportation is required.
- At least 2 years of labor and/or worker center and/or community organizing and/or base-building experience; A strong and demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice and the labor movement.
- Significant experience working collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations; and
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire workers to develop into leaders. Ability to take initiative and be creative in developing worker leaders and a strong activist base.
- Demonstrated understanding of the basic organizing model and how it can be used to empower workers and make significant changes in workers’ lives.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on short-term and long-term member development and capacity building goals Ability to work independently and collectively within a team, possession of strong interpersonal communication skills. Willingness to work longer hours and weekends when necessary.
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefit standards are competitive, with a salary starting at $54,000, depending on experience. Full family health benefits, 401(k), generous time off, subsidized Transit Access Pass, commitment to work/life balance, parking. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Please email your cover letter and resume to FWW@laane.org, name files as “(Your Name) CL” and “(Your Name) Resume,” and put “Worker Organizer” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Not all applicants will receive a response.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, LGBTQ PEOPLE, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.