The Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE) has been at the forefront of the economic justice movement in L.A. since 1994. LAANE is recognized as a national leader in the effort to address the challenges of working poverty, inadequate health care and polluted communities through a comprehensive approach that includes organizing, innovative policy, research, and communications. LAANE’s efforts to transform conditions in the region’s key industries have led to significant improvements for tens of thousands of working men and women, from 1997’s Living Wage Ordinance to a city-wide Minimum Wage increase.
LAANE is currently seeking a full-time experienced director for a campaign that focuses on the L.A. Department of Water and Power (DWP), the nation’s largest municipally-owned utility and the source of middle class jobs for thousands of workers. This is an exciting opportunity to work in an industry undergoing major transformation and that, along with California, will be in the spotlight as the state works to meet its climate goals. The campaign seeks to ensure that the DWP’s infrastructure, water and clean energy investments benefit all LA residents, including LA’s most vulnerable communities and to support pathways to utility careers for low income communities.
Working with a long-standing coalition of community, labor and environmental leaders, LAANE advocates for expanded access to solar, water and energy efficiency programs that help low income communities save money on their bills while creating good jobs and reducing our environmental impact. The campaign also seeks to support and expand a pipeline for entry level workers to career path jobs at the DWP that was created by IBEW Local 18 and the utility. The RePower LA Director will also help to explore new campaigns around climate resiliency at the County of LA. For more information about the project and the RePower LA Coalition, see www.repowerla.org
Position Responsibilities: The Campaign Director is responsible for
- Supervising a LAANE team of 3, including community/coalition organizer, researcher, and communication specialist as well as consultants
- Coordinating closely with union partner at the leadership & staff level
- Working closely with DWP and city policy makers to win their support for programs, polices and to monitor implementation of programs
- Develop new initiatives
- Leading campaign planning and goal setting
- Managing the project budget and working with LAANE executive team to develop and carry-out fundraising strategies to fund the project, as well as maintain regular communication with key funders
- Working with community organizer to grow and maintain a diverse coalition of community leaders, environmentalists, and labor
- Working closely with environmental and environmental justice organizations to implementing a climate resiliency strategy
- As a member of the management team, help set organization’s direction
Qualifications: Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to economic justice and the labor movement. Also needed: willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary and ability to work independently. Skills required:
- More than two years of experience in supervising and leading a team.
- Experience running a campaign, developing and implementing a campaign plan.
- Strong community outreach, organizing and engagement skills.
- Strong skills in advocacy of elected officials.
- Understanding or interest in public sector, utilities a plus.
- Experience working with labor unions strongly preferred.
- Driving your own car required.
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefit standards are very competitive. Salary scale starts at $68,000. Full health benefits; pension; generous time off; parking. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter and resume to Gina Palencar at email@example.com with “campaign director” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN AND LGBTQ ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.