Founded in 1993, LAANE is a leading advocacy organization dedicated to building a new economy for all – with a focus on women, low-income communities, and people of color. Combining dynamic research, innovative public policy, and deep coalition organizing, LAANE promotes an economic approach based on good jobs, thriving communities, and a healthy environment. Our work has included raising the minimum wage in five L.A. cities, overhauling our waste and recycling system to hold corporations accountable, and creating good, green jobs at LADWP. For more information about our work, visit laane.org.
Campaign Description: LAANE is currently seeking a full-time outreach specialist for our RePower LA campaign. RePowerLA is a coalition of community-based, environmental and environmental justice and labor organizations with the goal of bringing together a movement of ratepayers, and workers to build collective power and expand access to energy programs and green union jobs at LADWP. In the last ten years, RePowerLA, along with our partners, pushed LADWP to break down barriers to good employment through the Utility Pre-Craft Trainee Program, fought and help to expand the Home Energy Improvement Program (HEIP) and Shared Solar programs to make sure energy efficiency programs are accessible to people who have been historically locked out, like renters and communities of color. Moving forward RePowerLA works to move the city of Los Angeles away from the extractive economy and more towards a regenerative one by centering the people most impacted, which are workers, renters, and ratepayers. As part of LAANE’s Climate Initiatives Team, this campaign is connected with our Water Campaign which aims to empower communities, transform lives with good jobs, and ensure the human right to water.
Position Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Project Director, the Outreach Specialist will be responsible to enroll LADWP customers in the Shared Solar pilot program, with a focus on high cross-enrollment of lower income ratepayers, at a special subsidized rate in the Shared Solar and Home Energy Improvement Programs (HEIP). We are seeking a qualified professional who will be able to work independently to reach our campaign goals, which include, but aren’t limited to:
- Door-to-door canvassing and/or phone banking to enroll customers in LADWP clean energy and bill-reducing programs
- Operate and manage data lists to record conversations and key information
- Distribute relevant outreach and marketing materials
- Maintain vibrant and professional attitude with community members and organizational stakeholders
- Participate in team and organizational meetings
- Cultural competency and social justice values/work experience: A strong commitment to racial and economic justice and the labor movement; cultural humility, knowledge of utility, re-entry communities, and clean energy issues is a plus, fluency in Spanish is ideal.
- Excellent outreach and organizing skills: Experience (2-5+ years) doing community and/or labor outreach, experience working with diverse communities (especially Black and/or Latinx communities) and a multi-racial coalition, working well under deadline pressure, detail-oriented, and methodical. Willingness to work longer hours and weekends when necessary.
- Working as a leader within a team: Ability to work independently and collectively within a team, think proactively, possession of strong interpersonal communication skills, and emotional intelligence.
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefits standards are competitive, with a salary range starting at $58,240.00. Full family health benefits.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Outreach Specialist” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, LGBTQ PEOPLE, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.