Please note that LAANE staff are currently working remotely from home. We are exploring ways to move forward in our work approach for the remainder of the year, with a goal of ensuring the safest working conditions and environment for all of our staff.
Founded in 1993, LAANE is a leading advocacy organization dedicated to building a new economy for all – with a focus on women, low-income communities, and people of color. Combining dynamic research, innovative public policy, and deep coalition organizing, LAANE promotes an economic approach based on good jobs, thriving communities, and a healthy environment. Our work has included raising the minimum wage in 5 L.A. cities, overhauling our waste and recycling system to hold corporations accountable, and creating good, green jobs at LADWP. For more information about our work, visit www.laane.org.
Position Summary: LAANE seeks a digital organizer who can support campaign organizing and outreach, help train LAANE organizers in a range of online to offline organizing tools, and support the organization in accessing and developing for LAANE’s use the most innovative digital outreach and organizing tools. The ideal candidate will have experience with labor organizing, preferably in non-traditional worker organizing campaigns, as well as a demonstrated commitment to social justice and equity for low-income, immigrant and communities of color. The ideal applicant will also have experience with digital organizing and tools as well. The Digital Organizer will work with LAANE Campaign Directors to support their organizing, and in particular, will focus on creating and implementing models for organizing workers and community members.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Outreach to and recruitment of workers and community members, by any means necessary
- Train LAANE organizers in online to offline organizing strategies
- Ensure LAANE is maximizing its current digital organizing tools, and identify new tools and strategies that would enhance our outreach and organizing across all parts of the organization
- Help guide new media and social media organizing, including Facebook, Twitter, microsites, blogs and email outreach to enhance the on-the-ground work.
- Perform other duties as required to support the work of the organization as a whole.
- Be able to demonstrate to the organizing team how using digital tools creates scale and efficiency in their daily organizing.
- Act as subject matter expert (SME) for LAANE organizers in liaison to I.T. and the cohort project manager.
- Work with IT to improve pain points in User Interfaces and organizing processes
- Be able to report back improvements to the to the rest of LAANE and the larger cohort of organizations using metrics
Particular Digital Organizing Duties:
- Create and implement an outreach strategy to workers and community members that includes Facebook ads, text outreach experiments, accessing existing groups , and other innovative strategies as they emerge. Track the data and metrics for each experiment.
- Support the organization in the most effective management and use of data and the most effective means of communicating with our lists and CRM database.
- Create pathways for engagement for workers and community members in specific campaigns.
- Attempt to create or organize within existing on-line communities of workers and community members.
- Work with the organizing team to create on-line to offline organizing experiments.
- Drive in-app content creation and management
- Support the design, content generation, beta testing of the Workit app
- Will regularly liaise with centralized California Workit Project Manager, cohort, and other staff support as needed
- Manage the identification, training, and support of volunteer “experts”
- Identify 50+ beta testers from your base to test the California WorkIt app after rollout
- Demonstrated experience in worker and/or community organizing
- Strong work ethic and personal commitment to excellence
- Willingness to learn, be flexible and ability to work well with others
- Three years of previous campaign, union or community organizing experience
- Experience with and proficiency in using a wide array of digital tools
- Commitment to social, racial, economic, environmental, and gender justice
- Ability to work irregular and extended work hours, including some nights and weekends, as campaigns require
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Respect for people from all walks of life
- Facility with a language other than English (ideally Spanish) strongly preferred
Salary Range: Salary based on experience. Full benefits package includes health, dental insurance, and paid vacations, holidays and sick leave.
Applications: Please submit resume with cover letter by email to: email@example.com
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, LGBTQ PEOPLE, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.