The Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE) has been in the forefront of the economic justice movement in L.A. for over 25 years. LAANE combines organizing, research, communications, and policy development and leads broad-based labor, community and environmental coalitions. LAANE has been a national leader in fighting for a Living Wage, community benefit agreements, and continues to advocate for policies and programs that benefit the unemployed, low-wage workers, low-income communities, BIPOC communities and the environment.
Position Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Campaign Director, the Organizer will engage community organizations and key stakeholders, recruit, mobilize, and develop leaders and activists, contribute to the organizing strategy, and help build capacity by growing the community coalition. The Organizer will also have a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the campaign. Reliable transportation is required. Also needed: commitment to building worker power, doing the work necessary to build community, willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary, and ability to work independently.
- At least 2 years of labor and/or worker center and/or community organizing and/or base-building experience; a strong and demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice and the labor movement.
- Significant experience working collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations.
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire others to develop into leaders. Ability to take initiative and be creative in developing a strong activist base.
- Demonstrated understanding of organizing and how it can be used to empower communities, workers and make significant changes in the lives of our most vulnerable communities.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on short-term and long-term member development and capacity building goals and work collectively within a team.
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefit standards are competitive, with a starting salary of $62,400. Full family health benefits, 401(k), generous time off, commitment to work/life balance and team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: Email cover letter, resume, and 3 references with at least 1 past supervisor in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Organizer Position in the email subject section. This position is available immediately.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. PEOPLE (AND ESPECIALLY WOMEN) OF COLOR, WOMEN, AND LGBTQ CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.