Founded in 1993, LAANE is a leading advocacy organization dedicated to building a new economy for all – with a focus on women, low-income communities, and people of color. Combining dynamic research, innovative public policy, and deep coalition organizing, LAANE promotes an economic approach based on good jobs, thriving communities, and a healthy environment. Our work has included raising the minimum wage in 5 L.A. cities, overhauling our waste and recycling system to hold corporations accountable, and creating good, green jobs at LADWP. For more information about our work, visit www.laane.org.
Position Description: The Communications Specialist will work with the Communications Director and team of communicators to help lead LAANE’s strategic communications work. Core responsibilities include:
- Creating and curating website and social media content
- Shooting photos for websites and social media pages
- Creating materials for internal and external use by campaign teams, such as social media graphics, fliers, fact sheets, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Coordinating the development of graphic materials and reports
- Developing and implementing communications strategies for various campaigns
- Developing strategic messages and frames for campaigns
- Leading the branding process for new campaigns
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with reporters
- Planning and executing press conferences and other media events
- Placing stories regularly in mainstream and independent media sources
- Writing press releases, Op-Eds, and other materials for media
- Training spokespeople for public hearings, press conferences, and interviews
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key community and labor partners
- At least 3-5 years of experience doing communications and media work for social justice or labor organizations, and/or an undergraduate degree in public relations, journalism or related field
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience with website and social media platforms and tools, including WordPress and Canva
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic communications plans, craft messages, and execute tactics
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working families
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual (written and conversational) in Spanish is a plus
Terms of employment: Starting salary is $58,240. Full health benefits; retirement plan; generous time off; parking. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: Email cover letter, resume, and 3 references in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response. This position is available immediately.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. PEOPLE (AND ESPECIALLY WOMEN) OF COLOR, WOMEN, AND LGBTQ CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.